PHP is a programming language that’s been around for a while yet still is among the most popular technologies for web development today. The reason for this is that the language has grown by leaps and bounds ever since it was launched in 1995.
Because of this, PHP is one of the best programming languages to learn today. If you want to learn how to create interactive WordPress and data-driven websites or just want to take your PHP skills to the next level, here are the best books to learn PHP for beginners.
What Are The Best PHP Books for Beginners?
- The Joy of PHP: A Beginner’s Guide to Programming Interactive Web Applications with PHP and MySQL
- Murach’s PHP and MySQL (3rd Edition)
- PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide
Author: Robin Nixon
At the end of the book, you will get to build your very own social media site such as Facebook or Twitter.
Who’s It For?
It will give you a solid understanding of the core web development technologies. All you need to get started is basic knowledge of HTML.
Best of all, it uses the modern versions of the technologies – CSS2 and CSS3, and HTML5. You will also learn MySQLi, jQuery, and Ajax.
- Top rated PHP book for beginner web developers
- Covers core web design technologies
- Well written and easy to read
- Hands on guide with a practical examples
- Teaches server side and client side development
- Requires a basic understanding of HTML
#2 – The Joy of PHP: A Beginner’s Guide to Programming Interactive Web Applications with PHP and MySQL
Author: Alan Forbes
The Joy of PHP assumes no previous knowledge of even basic HTML. This makes it the best PHP book for beginners. It will take you from a total coding newbie to scripting with PHP and creating MySQL databases.
It explains concepts in a very easy to understand manner and takes a practical approach to ensure you get to internalize the concepts. By the end of the book, you will have created a dynamic website for a car dealership.
Who’s It For?
If you’re completely new to the programming world and have chosen to learn PHP as your first programming language, The Joy of PHP Programming is the best book you can choose to start your learning journey.
To equip you with the basic skills you need in order to learn PHP effectively, the book starts with HTML basics and server setup.
The rest of the book is all about PHP and MYSQL, starting with the easy basics and gradually moving to more complex topics.
- No prior programming knowledge required
- Laid out in a step by step format
- Addresses security considerations
- Get to create a car dealership website
- Recommends additional learning resources
- Only covers the basics of PHP and MySQL
#3 – Murach’s PHP and MySQL (3rd Edition)
Authors: Joel Murach and Ray Harris
The way Murach’s PHP and MySQL book is presented in a logical manner makes it so much easier to grasp concepts without frustrations.
It’s one of the easiest and fastest ways to start building database-driven websites with PHP and MySQL.
Looking up what you need is a breeze as well making it a great reference resource.
Who’s It For?
For first time PHP students, Murach’s PHP and MySQL book is a good learning resource as well as a reference book.
If you’re a self taught PHP web developer, it’s a fantastic way to top off your knowledge.
Finally, developers who took a hiatus from using PHP will find it a great refresher course.
The book is quite comprehensive. It covers PHP, PHP 7 upgrades, MySQL (or MariaDB), and essential web development topics.
It also covers security topics. For example, you will learn how to keep XSS, SQL injection, and other attacks at bay.
- Explains things in details
- Organized in a logical sequence
- Easy and fast way to learn
- Great PHP reference guide
- Covers core technologies and practices
- Tackles security topics and PHP 7
- Not advanced enough for more experienced PHP users
#4 – PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide
Author: Larry Ullman
Like the name suggests, PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide uses a task-driven visual approach to teach web development using PHP.
This method simplifies the learning curve significantly – you will be using PHP in no time even if you’re new to the language.
Who Is It For?
Because PHP for the Web assumes no previous coding experience, it’s a perfect book if you’re new to programming.
It’s also great for experienced programmers looking to get into PHP web development.
If you’re an intermediate PHP user, you will also find it valuable as a reference guide.
- Written in an easy to follow style
- Step by step instruction and detailed explanations
- Great reference guide for more experienced users
- Practical examples are easy to grasp
- Assumes no prior programming knowledge
- Comprehensive yet a quick way to learn
- Not advanced enough for experienced PHP developers
Author: Steve Prettyman
Who’s It For?
Learn PHP 8 is perfect for beginners as well as seasoned PHP programmers interested in learning what’s new in PHP 8.
- A full stack web development book
- Teaches PHP 8, the latest version
- Uses a practical approach
- Teaches good PHP practices
- Places importance on security
- Requires basic web programming skills
PHP is one of the easiest coding languages to learn.
Having the best book on PHP programming makes it even easier to master and develop a great foundation.
Currently, the five books above are the best books to learn PHP effectively.
Simply grab the best book for you and start your journey to becoming a PHP web developer today.
Mike is the creator of Go With Code and a coder at heart 🙂